Monday, December 29, 2014

Karen Nyberg's Quilt Block Challenge

Non quilters need not read this post J

Last year, astronaut Karen Nyberg sewed a quilt block in space. She then challenged quilters to create their own blocks and submit them so they could all be made into a quilt and showcased at the 40th Houston International Quilt Show. This is the largest annual quilt show in the world (and yes, I WILL be attending, hopefully next year!) The project was a great success.

The challenge was to create a star block that was 9.5 inches square. So me, my Mom and Louise all took up the challenge and all of our blocks were incorporated into a quilt that was showcased – how cool is that? All the blocks that were submitted and adhered to the guidelines were used. Over 2,000 blocks from around the world were submitted and they created 28 quilt panels.


My block is row 9, block 6


Close up of my applique block "Shikishi", from Susan Briscoe's Japanese Taupe Blocks



Mom’s block is row 6, block 6



Louise’s block is row 2, block 3

I thought this was a very neat idea and I'm so happy that we participated in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment