Monday, May 25, 2015

Back in Palm Cay Marina

We are now back at Palm Cay, waiting out some windy weather that’s kicking up the seas a bit before we head out on our next adventure.

Blossom at Highbourne Cay

We left Big Majors last Sunday and went to Highbourne Cay with my Mom. That night we ate at Xuma and enjoyed a gorgeous evening, great food and a beautiful view. 

Martin & Mom at Highbourne Cay

Mom at Xuma

The following day was gray and rainy so we stayed in and sewed. It’s amazing how much I can get done with my Mom at the sewing machine, she’s awesome J

Gray day at Highbourne

Tuesday was another gray day as we headed up to the marina at Palm Cay. We left at first light to get in on a high tide and were all settled by noon.  Our arrival was a bit confused and we ended up with a port side tie. It was good practice as we rarely tie up on the port side though it took a bit of time for me to figure out the lines and fenders on the fixed dock. (Our asymmetric design favors a starboard tie).

 Dinner at Palm Cay Marina

Mom headed home Wednesday afternoon. I spent the afternoon moping around missing her and doing some housecleaning chores. In the days since we’ve been enjoying some down time and getting some things done. We use a company called Wheelhouse Technologies to manage tracking our boat maintenance.  It’s a great system that logs every piece of machinery & technology and creates a maintenance log. It generates “to-do” lists as each task comes up on its scheduled date. Just as we got to the marina we received a 65 item list – so Martin has been very busy!  In reality, many of the tasks are visual checks and several are things that he’s been on top of so it’s not as daunting as it sounds. That said, he’s been dedicating a few hours every day to tackling the list. Then I’ll log in all the tasks that were done. This provides a great log of your continued boat maintenance – invaluable to have over time.

Our view at the marina, not so bad!

 Blossom in Palm Cay Marina

I’ve been working on my quilts much more now as well. My vertigo is much better at the dock and I think it’s even starting to calm down a bit. We’ve met a great couple who are also staying here through the windy weather as well. We’re enjoying getting to know them and have a lion fish dinner planned for tomorrow!  They came upon several fillets from a local fisherman a while back and are generously going to share it with us. My contribution is to find a Thai recipe that will go with the fish. (I’m thinking Thai curry lion fish … but I’ve just begun my search!)  Bob & Sandy are life-long boaters and happen to be from…St. Petersburg!  I feel like universe is telling me something – drawing me to that charming town J

Winds are expected to keep the seas high enough that we aren’t interested in leaving until later this week. Since we have no schedule to keep and prefer calm, “boring” passages, we’re going to stay here and enjoy the marina for a few days.  Where to next?  That would be the question. North (Abacos) or east (State-side) are the two possible answers. We have until late next week to make up our minds!

Boat Business: We have lots of maintenance going on. I'll try to convince Martin to put together a post to talk about all that he's up to!




No comments:

Post a Comment